Skip to the content

What we do

Speech and Language Therapy (SaLT) covers a broad range of work. Speech and Language Therapists (SLTs) assess and support people with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN), to help them to communicate better. They also work with people who have eating and swallowing problems. 

SLTs work with people of all ages, from babies through to adulthood. They can work in a clinic or hospital, children’s centre, early years setting or in a school.

Your questions answered

Speech and Language Therapists (SLTs) see children:
  • To assess their needs
  • To give advice on whether their needs should be met in nursery or school, or by the ECCH speech and language therapy teams

Our speech and language therapists (SLT) might:

  • Work directly with children or young people individually or in groups

  • Work through other people who see the child or young person regularly, such as teachers, teaching assistants or early years staff. They will be trained by the SLT to reinforce the speech and language therapy

  • Support parent/carers to adapt their communication around the child. This will enable the child to practice their skills every day, so they can get the most from their therapy

Everyone working together to encourage the child or young person to practice their speech and language skills regularly, will give the best results.

SLT's will always provide individual, person-centred advice. It is highly likely that the advice your child receives will be different from the advice given for another child. Every assessment and plan is individually made to meet a child’s needs.

Speech and language therapy is not needed by all children with SLCN.  Sometimes the SLT might decide that the child doesn’t need any support from the SLT team. If this happens, you will be signposted to other forms of support that might help.
Take a look at the 'How's my child doing' page to help you understand and learn more about your child’s language development.


Most children with speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) are best supported by their parents or care givers. Home and educational settings can provide communication rich environments for your child. This helps them to learn about communication everyday.


Our Speech and Language Therapy (SLT) teams provide:
  • Advice
  • Interventions
  • Training

Equipping parents and professionals to support communication development.
Children need different kinds of support depending on the difficulties they have.
Speech and language therapy is not needed for all children with SLCN. Your SLT will let you know what your child needs.
The SLT service might include:
  • Advising the parents/carers and professionals to encourage them to regularly practice their skills
  • Focused activities, e.g. developing the production of speech sounds
  • Introducing communication strategies, e.g. signing
  • Advice regarding different communication systems, e.g. high tech communication aids
Focused activities, eg developing the production of speech sounds, may be given to children who need extra support. Most children will be successfully supported in a mainstream early years setting or school.
This support is usually given by experienced teaching assistants with guidance from the teacher, a Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) or a Speech and Language Therapist (SLT).
Children might work in small groups to follow a programme or have individual support.       
Children with more complex, persistent or severe SLCN may require direct support and interventions from a SLT or a clinical support worker(CSW) with specialist experience.
Our SLTs or Clinical Support Workers will work with your child and meet with parents, teachers and teaching assistants to advise on how best to support them everyday.


For more information see our 'What are Speech Language and Communication Needs' 
The NHS and local authorities across England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland all provide speech and language therapy.

Information about 'Our Service'
Information about Independant SLT's